How to Get Involved
Join the Global Surgery Journal Club on Facebook and Twitter to discuss recent, high-impact global surgery publications with the authors.
Reach out to your mentors, supervisors, professors, or others potentially involved in global (pediatric) surgery. What are their interests and what are yours? How can these overlap to engage in a meaningful project?
Opportunities and Programs Available
Research Programs and Fellowships
- Harvard Medical School: Paul Farmer Global Surgery Fellowship
- WHO Emergency and Essential Surgical Care Program internship
- Creighton University Global Surgery Fellowship
- McGill University: Jean-Martin Laberge Fellowship in Global Pediatric Surgery
- King’s College London: Master in Science of Global Health and Global Surgery
- McGill University: Master of Science in Global Surgery
- University of British Columbia: Master of Global Surgical Care
Building a global surgery career
For those contemplating a career in global surgery, here is the perspective from GICS member Naomi Wright, a trainee in pediatric general surgery in London.
- Global Surgery: An Introduction
- Establishing an InciSioN Global Surgery National Working Group
- Guide to Human Rights in Global Surgery
The Residency Review Committee (RRC) of the Accreditation Council of Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) approves international electives during general surgery residency. Consult the ACGME website for further details. Consortium of Universities for Global Health (CUGH) standardizes curricula and competencies for global health and facilitates mutual exchange between institutions in rich and poor countries. The Dramatic Expansion of University Engagement in Global Health, by the CSIS Global Health Policy Center, summarizes recent trends and outlines policy implications. Residency Review Committee Guidelines, by Diana Farmer.
Information for Trainees on OOPE (Out of Programme Experience) Abroad, by Miss Kokila Lakhoo, outlines specific recommendations for British trainees contemplating an international elective, as well as offering practical advice.